Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Visit From Doug......

We had the wonderful opportunity of having Doug (Steve's brother) and his cute family stay with us for a few weeks in July. IT WAS AWESOME!!! Doug was the only one in Howie's family which I had not met. Steve and I had been talking about traveling to Texas this summer sometime to visit with him and about two or three days after our conversation DOUG CALLED!!! It was kind of weird how we were just talking about him and PRESTO!!! HE CALLS!!! He brought his family with him to do some sight-seeing around Utah. His wife and his kids were soooo neat. I was very happy to finally meet them.

His oldest son Skylar.....

His adorable daughter Valerie......

His son Ethan.....I don't have a very good shot of him

He is making a book mark in this picture.....

And last but not least....

His funny, goofy daughter JC (Jaquelyn)

While the kids visited they spent most of their time playing games on our Wii system. We really had a fun time .

We even got their mom, Veronica to play!

The kids also enjoyed doing crafts.....

Like weaving.....

Making book marks.....

And bracelets......

Doug and Veronica had planned to spend a day uptown looking at the sights at Temple Square, The Beehive and Lion Houses, and Gateway. I kind of invited myself to go along and they were kind enough to let me tag along. Thanks guys, I really enjoyed myself. We took the Trax Train and had a fun adventure watching the "WIERDOS" getting on and off the train as we traveled uptown.

Hey wake up SKY!!!

What a beautiful smile and gorgeous eyes......

Hey she does have a crazy side!

Here she is sucking in her nostrils and looking something like a FISH!

Me with my new little buddy.......JC

She had some pretty funny comments about the piercings she saw on people as they got on the train. She is still young so she can get away with it but it was funny to see the expressions on the faces of the people as she told them off. She is quite gutsy!

Ethan is always so curious about things. He is a little WIZ!

(in fact all of their children are extremely smart)

Ethan took some pictures of our train ride

It was a gorgeous day at the temple.....

I love these two pictures I took.

The sky is so blue and the temple looks so beautiful!

I haven't been to the visitors center for many years so it was very enjoyable to go inside and hear about the different displays they have. I loved the story about the man who actually carved these words in the temple. I had never heard it before and it made me choke up as the missionary told me of the faith and endurance it took this man to travel on foot every week to get this complete. Very inspiring story!

The movie clips that they had there were also fun to watch....

They really have some great messages in them.

I have only known this cute family for a few short hours but yet I feel so comfortable with them and I am so happy I was able to spend this day with them.

Doug and Veronica....You have done an incredible job of raising these kids. They honestly are the most kind, polite, and most well behaved kids I have ever been around.

Sure wish you lived closer so we could hang out together!

Skylar had just received the priesthood recently so he got a picture by this statue. Really choked up Veronica! Her son is growing up too fast!

Ethan.....


Families Can Be Together Forever!


I of course had to take some pictures of the flowers . Howie reminded me. I am glad he did because some of them were absolutely gorgeous!

I want some of these purple ones in my yard!

Very PRETTY!

Cute couple....

Howie and I had our wedding pictures taken in this tree.

Another view of our temple. This is the place I was sealed to my eternal friend and companion. There is such a peaceful feeling as you walk around this Holy place. I love it!

We went to the Joseph Smith building to see the movie they have there about the life of our Prophet Joseph Smith. We had some time to spare before the movie started so we went up to the "Roof" to get a birds eye view of the temple.

This picture is too dark of Veronica and Doug

but I love this view of the temple.

WOW!

A friend of Veronica had met us at the temple and spent the day with us as well. Here is her darling little girl playing in the fountain with JC. She is a DOLL!

This is in the lobby right outside the Legacy Theatre.
I think these statues are so cool.
Howie and I have both seen the movie. In fact it was our very FIRST DATE together. But it was still so amazing how you feel when you watch this film. I received an even greater love of the Prophet Joseph Smith this day. What a great, humble and faithful man he was. He did so much so that we could have the gospel on the earth today. I was touched so much by the message of this movie. I am so glad they keep the lights turned off for a while after the movie ends. It gave me a chance to wipe my eyes. I was sobbing like a baby. I wasn't the only one though! This movie really tugs at your heart strings. By the way.....I love our church and those who sacrificed so much so that we can have it in our lives. It is the BEST!

I am glad this picture was taken far away so that you can't see my makeup smeared all over my face from crying. :)

Doug, Veronica and their friends....

We took a few more pictures before we headed over to Gateway. I love this view of the temple.

We got a wedding picture on this pedestal

Still together....Still in love!

The kids.....

The whole gang.....

After visiting the temple we headed over to eat and shop at the Gateway. We also visited the Lion house and the Beehive house but I can't find my pictures of that part of the day. Oh well.... I really enjoyed my time spent with Doug, Veronica and the kids. Thanks once again for letting me tag along. FABULOUS DAY!

1 comment:

Karilyn said...

What a neat family y'all have! You are a terrific photographer, by the way, these pictures were fun to follow your day as you told about it. The ride on the Trax Train can be very interesting, I know...

Seeing these pictures made me want to spend a day at the Visitor's Center too! One of these days I will, then I'll let you know, how's that? Until then, thank you for the photos, and the ones of the flowers were absolutely lovely!

That was a fun idea, taking pictures on that pedestal again (where you had some of your wedding pictures) - and the ones from The Roof were simply awesome~

Looks like you had a wonderful time getting to know more of your family, and thank you for sharing! They look like good people~

Happy Friday to you, Tanya!